Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15th, 2010


Half over!
The month is half over already, but it seems like only a few days are left instead of two whole weeks. The countdown to Christmas has begun, and this year I have taken an interest in the Twelve Days of Christmas folksong, using it to count down the days. It is interesting to research each verse and see what they mean! In my opinion, people had strange ideas in the ancient depths of history. I imagine, however, they will be saying the same thing about us in the future!

First off would be to report on my ambitious 5 Items List with which I finished my last post. The update is not as successful as I was hoping for, though.


1) Buy bus ticket to Kiev.

Yes! I bought my bus ticket for Kiev. I will leave Kharkov (teardrops!) on Sunday, December 26th, at 12:20 noon. This is the day after Christmas... praise the Lord that He provided even this year, with its monstrous twist of fate, to spend the holiday at home with my family. I will get into Kiev around 8:00pm that night, probably more around 9:00. My plane ticket is for dawn the next morning, Borispyl.

2) Confirm arrangements for the first week in OK before the dorms open

Yes! The way this worked out was so completely Providential. The Dean of Women, Vickie Jett, dealt with the needed arrangements for me and invited me to go right to the dorms! Even though the dorms are actually closed for three days still, she graciously said they would give me my room in advance rather than try to place me at a staff member's house. This is awesome. First, because I do terribly dislike staying in strange people's houses. Secondly, because I want as much time as possible to get moved in, and somewhat acclimated to this new life before the several hundred other girls come rushing in.

And... that's about where the optimistic news ends.

3) Get insurance on my car.

Ha. That was a nightmare from the start, and the problem is getting worse. I'm not going to go into detail on this public blog. But let's say there was a day when my health shattered, and the shockwaves of that moment are still hitting fresh and new even 9 months later. I'm working on the problems, but at this point is seems quite ridiculously impossible to fix. Which, is going to pose a huge problem. Not only do I need my car when I land at O'Hare... but especially to drive with my stuff from IL to OK? And to get set up at school? And for work? Yes. This is going to be a massive nightmare.

4) Confirm arrangements for the week transitional stay in IL

Well, this one has turned out to be the big surprise. It goes to show that constant things in the past are not always going to stay that way in the future! Cancer, heart problems, the holidays and a variety of developments have brought up some huge problems to work through. I know God is in control, but experience has taught me that doesn't mean He's obligated to give seamless and happy solutions to all the problems He allows. But I am just going to trust Him to point out the path He has preordained for us to take... and take it. Regardless, I really can't wait to get to Illinois.

5) Get my AT&T contract reactivated on my phone.

Well, I'm afraid to admit, I didn't even get started on this one after the frustration of the others. We'll leave this one for next week.... =)

But!

I did get my Christmas shopping done! =D

I'm very excited about this, because it gives a great deal of pleasure to look at my neatly-wrapped gifts lined up on my desk, waiting for to be given to my dear family. (Yes, I have already gotten them all wrapped!) God has blessed me with a great family, and I am so grateful that He is allowing me to spend the best day of the the year, Christmas, with them.

This week is going to be more preparation for college. In fact, the last week of preparation! I leave in 10 days! If I can get everything done this week, that will leave the last Saturday nice and open to relax and enjoy the Holiday with my family. That's the plan! If only my life went according to plan.... =P

Instead of a verse this week, I wanted to share this song. I hope no one minds. (click on the underlined word "song" at the beginning of this paragraph to follow the link and listen to it!) It's by Casting Crowns, and I just love the message in this song. The original melody always struck me as rather... depressing... for Christmas. But the melody is completely changed, and this is an amazing rendition! The meaning of the words are very well highlighted, and I love it. It is an old carol that has long been a favorite.


I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,

With peace on earth, good will to men."


Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!


Everyone have a wonderful week! Let me know how the holidays are going for you!

3 comments:

  1. good post. love you. Grma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I dont know I have ever heard those verses.

    I am praying about your licesnes...and arrangements in Pekin. And...just praying as you get ready for everything. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    News on the licenses is a two-week wait while the DMV review medical forms... and there are some other forms to get taken care of, which will take even longer. End of story, no miracles happening here. But if at least get my license back some day, that will be nice.

    I love you both. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete